Spicy Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
What could be better with a simple roast or grilled vegetables than a spicy fruit chutney? Nothing, except knowing it was a gift from someone you cherish. Consider including a decorative serving spoon, tied to the side of the jar with raffia.
- 8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, (2 pounds)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the cranberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Ladle the chutney into clean jars and refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Refrigerate chutney in an airtight container for up to 1 month. To can it for pantry storage, visit homecanning.com for detailed instructions.
Per tablespoon: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Fall 2004