Spicy Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
What could be better with a simple roast or grilled vegetables than a spicy fruit chutney? Nothing, except knowing it was a gift from someone you cherish. Consider including a decorative serving spoon, tied to the side of the jar with raffia.
- 8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, (2 pounds)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the cranberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Ladle the chutney into clean jars and refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Refrigerate chutney in an airtight container for up to 1 month. To can it for pantry storage, visit homecanning.com for detailed instructions.
Per tablespoon: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Fall 2004