Spicy Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
What could be better with a simple roast or grilled vegetables than a spicy fruit chutney? Nothing, except knowing it was a gift from someone you cherish. Consider including a decorative serving spoon, tied to the side of the jar with raffia.
- 8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, (2 pounds)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the cranberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Ladle the chutney into clean jars and refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Refrigerate chutney in an airtight container for up to 1 month. To can it for pantry storage, visit homecanning.com for detailed instructions.
Per tablespoon: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Fall 2004