Spicy Cranberry Chutney
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
What could be better with a simple roast or grilled vegetables than a spicy fruit chutney? Nothing, except knowing it was a gift from someone you cherish. Consider including a decorative serving spoon, tied to the side of the jar with raffia.
- 8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, (2 pounds)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the cranberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Ladle the chutney into clean jars and refrigerate.
Tips & Notes
- Refrigerate chutney in an airtight container for up to 1 month. To can it for pantry storage, visit homecanning.com for detailed instructions.
Per tablespoon: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Fall 2004