Spicy Chipotle Roasted Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Roasted potatoes get a spicy, smoky flavor when tossed with ground chipotle peppers. If you like potato skins, just scrub the potatoes and leave the skins on—they add fiber and great texture.
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or red potatoes, scrubbed (peeled, if desired), and cut into 1-inch wedges or pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note), or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine oil, paprika, salt, garlic powder and ground chipotle (or chili powder) in a large bowl. Add potatoes; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the potatoes are tender and browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 182 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 945 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (27% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2009