Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
A trio of fresh garnishes—cilantro, onions and cucumbers—balances the spiciness of this chickpea and potato stew. Make it a meal: Warm whole-wheat tortillas make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add chopped onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly browned on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly. Add tomatoes and the reserved chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are nearly done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Serve garnished with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1995