Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
A trio of fresh garnishes—cilantro, onions and cucumbers—balances the spiciness of this chickpea and potato stew. Make it a meal: Warm whole-wheat tortillas make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add chopped onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly browned on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly. Add tomatoes and the reserved chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are nearly done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Serve garnished with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1995