Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
A trio of fresh garnishes—cilantro, onions and cucumbers—balances the spiciness of this chickpea and potato stew. Make it a meal: Warm whole-wheat tortillas make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add chopped onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly browned on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly. Add tomatoes and the reserved chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are nearly done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Serve garnished with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1995