Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
A trio of fresh garnishes—cilantro, onions and cucumbers—balances the spiciness of this chickpea and potato stew. Make it a meal: Warm whole-wheat tortillas make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add chopped onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly browned on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly. Add tomatoes and the reserved chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are nearly done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Serve garnished with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1995