Spicy Chickpea-Potato Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
A trio of fresh garnishes—cilantro, onions and cucumbers—balances the spiciness of this chickpea and potato stew. Make it a meal: Warm whole-wheat tortillas make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (4-5 potatoes)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place 3/4 cup of the chickpeas and water in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add chopped onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until the onion is lightly browned on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and stir to distribute evenly. Add tomatoes and the reserved chickpea puree; bring to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are nearly done, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender (but not mushy) and the stew is heated through, another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Serve garnished with cucumber slices, red onion rings and cilantro.
Per serving: 353 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 11 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1101 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 1995