Spicy Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Steamed broccoli is tossed with an Asian-inspired dressing in this quick and easy salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut off broccoli florets. Trim and peel stems; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place broccoli florets and stems in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam until cooked but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir together bell pepper, onion, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add the broccoli and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 569 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Folate (28% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994