Spicy Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Steamed broccoli is tossed with an Asian-inspired dressing in this quick and easy salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut off broccoli florets. Trim and peel stems; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place broccoli florets and stems in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam until cooked but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir together bell pepper, onion, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add the broccoli and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 569 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Folate (28% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1994