Spicy Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Steamed broccoli is tossed with an Asian-inspired dressing in this quick and easy salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut off broccoli florets. Trim and peel stems; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place broccoli florets and stems in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam until cooked but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir together bell pepper, onion, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add the broccoli and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 569 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Folate (28% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994