Spicy Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Steamed broccoli is tossed with an Asian-inspired dressing in this quick and easy salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut off broccoli florets. Trim and peel stems; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place broccoli florets and stems in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam until cooked but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir together bell pepper, onion, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add the broccoli and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 569 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Folate (28% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1994