Spicy Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Steamed broccoli is tossed with an Asian-inspired dressing in this quick and easy salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 3 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut off broccoli florets. Trim and peel stems; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place broccoli florets and stems in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam until cooked but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir together bell pepper, onion, vinegar, oil, brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add the broccoli and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Per serving: 109 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 569 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (32% daily value), Vitamin C (272% dv), Folate (28% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1994