Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor to these black bean sandwiches. Make it a meal: Serve with crunchy Mexican Coleslaw and Papaya-Lime Sorbet.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 6-inch pita breads
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and sliced
- Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice in a large bowl, and season with salt to taste. Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- Slice off the top third of each pita. Spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados and tomatoes. Serve within 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Canned chipotles packed in adobo sauce can be found in the Mexican section of a large supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Per serving: 466 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 18 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994