Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor to these black bean sandwiches. Make it a meal: Serve with crunchy Mexican Coleslaw and Papaya-Lime Sorbet.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 6-inch pita breads
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and sliced
- Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice in a large bowl, and season with salt to taste. Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- Slice off the top third of each pita. Spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados and tomatoes. Serve within 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Canned chipotles packed in adobo sauce can be found in the Mexican section of a large supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Per serving: 466 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 18 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1994