Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor to these black bean sandwiches. Make it a meal: Serve with crunchy Mexican Coleslaw and Papaya-Lime Sorbet.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 4 6-inch pita breads
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cored and sliced
- Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice in a large bowl, and season with salt to taste. Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- Slice off the top third of each pita. Spread the bean mixture inside each pita. Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocados and tomatoes. Serve within 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Canned chipotles packed in adobo sauce can be found in the Mexican section of a large supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Per serving: 466 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 18 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (26% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994