Spicy Beef with Shrimp & Bok Choy
Oyster sauce and rice wine give this speedy stir-fry a rich flavor that balances the clean, sweet crunch of bok choy. Make It a Meal: Rice noodles or brown basmati rice and a Tsing Tao beer will make you feel like you're eating in your favorite Chinese restaurant.
- 1/4 cup Shao Hsing rice wine, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 10 raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 pound bok choy, preferably baby bok choy, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Whisk rice wine, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and crushed red pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the beef begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and continue to cook, stirring, until the shrimp is opaque and pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the beef, shrimp and any juices to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in the same pan. Add bok choy and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return the beef-shrimp mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 204 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 384 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique