Spicy Beef with Shrimp & Bok Choy
Oyster sauce and rice wine give this speedy stir-fry a rich flavor that balances the clean, sweet crunch of bok choy. Make It a Meal: Rice noodles or brown basmati rice and a Tsing Tao beer will make you feel like you're eating in your favorite Chinese restaurant.
- 1/4 cup Shao Hsing rice wine, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 10 raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 pound bok choy, preferably baby bok choy, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Whisk rice wine, oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and crushed red pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the beef begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and continue to cook, stirring, until the shrimp is opaque and pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the beef, shrimp and any juices to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in the same pan. Add bok choy and cook, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return the beef-shrimp mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. It is available in most Asian specialty markets and some larger supermarkets in the Asian section. If unavailable, dry sherry is an acceptable substitute.
Per serving: 204 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 1 g fiber; 384 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique