Spicy Banana Ketchup
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
The first ketchup was a pickled fish condiment popular in the 17th century in China, discovered by visiting Brits. Creative Americans added tomatoes during Colonial times. Try this savory spicy sauce on a burger, with pork or fish, or even as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion, such as Walla Walla or Vidalia (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons minced hot pepper, such as jalapeno
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, (3-4 medium)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rum, preferably dark
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, hot pepper and salt; cover and cook, stirring often, until soft and just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add allspice and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bananas, vinegar, rum, soy sauce and turmeric; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly and puree with water in a food processor or blender. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per tablespoon: 18 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- February/March 2006