Spicy Banana Ketchup
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
The first ketchup was a pickled fish condiment popular in the 17th century in China, discovered by visiting Brits. Creative Americans added tomatoes during Colonial times. Try this savory spicy sauce on a burger, with pork or fish, or even as a dipping sauce for chicken fingers.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion, such as Walla Walla or Vidalia (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons minced hot pepper, such as jalapeno
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, (3-4 medium)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rum, preferably dark
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, hot pepper and salt; cover and cook, stirring often, until soft and just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add allspice and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bananas, vinegar, rum, soy sauce and turmeric; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly and puree with water in a food processor or blender. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per tablespoon: 18 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- February/March 2006