Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
This fresh-tasting citrus relish will perk up even the most jaded appetite, and it goes well with chicken, fish or pork. Serve it with a simple salad of Boston lettuce, scallions and cilantro and whole-wheat Couscous.
- 1 large seedless grapefruit
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- To prepare relish: Remove the peel and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a small bowl. Squeeze out remaining juice into the bowl and discard membrane. Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine.
- To prepare turkey: Combine chili powder, five-spice powder and salt on a plate. Dredge turkey in the spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the turkey with the avocado-grapefruit relish.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 340 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate & Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique