Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
This fresh-tasting citrus relish will perk up even the most jaded appetite, and it goes well with chicken, fish or pork. Serve it with a simple salad of Boston lettuce, scallions and cilantro and whole-wheat Couscous.
- 1 large seedless grapefruit
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- To prepare relish: Remove the peel and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a small bowl. Squeeze out remaining juice into the bowl and discard membrane. Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine.
- To prepare turkey: Combine chili powder, five-spice powder and salt on a plate. Dredge turkey in the spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the turkey with the avocado-grapefruit relish.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 340 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate & Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry