Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
This fresh-tasting citrus relish will perk up even the most jaded appetite, and it goes well with chicken, fish or pork. Serve it with a simple salad of Boston lettuce, scallions and cilantro and whole-wheat Couscous.
- 1 large seedless grapefruit
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- To prepare relish: Remove the peel and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a small bowl. Squeeze out remaining juice into the bowl and discard membrane. Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine.
- To prepare turkey: Combine chili powder, five-spice powder and salt on a plate. Dredge turkey in the spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the turkey with the avocado-grapefruit relish.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 340 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate & Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique