Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
This fresh-tasting citrus relish will perk up even the most jaded appetite, and it goes well with chicken, fish or pork. Serve it with a simple salad of Boston lettuce, scallions and cilantro and whole-wheat Couscous.
- 1 large seedless grapefruit
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- To prepare relish: Remove the peel and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a small bowl. Squeeze out remaining juice into the bowl and discard membrane. Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine.
- To prepare turkey: Combine chili powder, five-spice powder and salt on a plate. Dredge turkey in the spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the turkey with the avocado-grapefruit relish.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 340 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Folate & Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation