Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Whole spices give a subtle but distinct flavor to this tropical fruit compote. Here the fruit is not cooked in the syrup, but simply macerated so that the tastes remain fresh and distinct. The spiced syrup is also a wonderful sweetener for hot tea or as a base for a light punch.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 10 whole cardamom pods,bruised
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons CuraÃ§ao or other orange liqueur
- 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 mangoes or papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 seedless tangerines or small oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 star fruit (carambolas), thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into thick slices
- Combine sugar, pineapple juice, lime zest and juice in a small saucepan. Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in orange liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Toss kiwi, mangoes (or papaya), tangerines (or oranges), star fruit, pineapple and banana in a serving bowl. Add the syrup and stir gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag and serve.
Per serving: 214 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (148 % daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1995