Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Whole spices give a subtle but distinct flavor to this tropical fruit compote. Here the fruit is not cooked in the syrup, but simply macerated so that the tastes remain fresh and distinct. The spiced syrup is also a wonderful sweetener for hot tea or as a base for a light punch.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 10 whole cardamom pods,bruised
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons CuraÃ§ao or other orange liqueur
- 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 mangoes or papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 seedless tangerines or small oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 star fruit (carambolas), thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into thick slices
- Combine sugar, pineapple juice, lime zest and juice in a small saucepan. Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in orange liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Toss kiwi, mangoes (or papaya), tangerines (or oranges), star fruit, pineapple and banana in a serving bowl. Add the syrup and stir gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag and serve.
Per serving: 214 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (148 % daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- November/December 1995