Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Whole spices give a subtle but distinct flavor to this tropical fruit compote. Here the fruit is not cooked in the syrup, but simply macerated so that the tastes remain fresh and distinct. The spiced syrup is also a wonderful sweetener for hot tea or as a base for a light punch.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 10 whole cardamom pods,bruised
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons CuraÃ§ao or other orange liqueur
- 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 mangoes or papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 seedless tangerines or small oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 star fruit (carambolas), thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into thick slices
- Combine sugar, pineapple juice, lime zest and juice in a small saucepan. Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in orange liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Toss kiwi, mangoes (or papaya), tangerines (or oranges), star fruit, pineapple and banana in a serving bowl. Add the syrup and stir gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag and serve.
Per serving: 214 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (148 % daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- November/December 1995