Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Whole spices give a subtle but distinct flavor to this tropical fruit compote. Here the fruit is not cooked in the syrup, but simply macerated so that the tastes remain fresh and distinct. The spiced syrup is also a wonderful sweetener for hot tea or as a base for a light punch.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 10 whole cardamom pods,bruised
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons CuraÃ§ao or other orange liqueur
- 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 mangoes or papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 seedless tangerines or small oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 star fruit (carambolas), thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into thick slices
- Combine sugar, pineapple juice, lime zest and juice in a small saucepan. Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in orange liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Toss kiwi, mangoes (or papaya), tangerines (or oranges), star fruit, pineapple and banana in a serving bowl. Add the syrup and stir gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag and serve.
Per serving: 214 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (148 % daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1995