Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Whole spices give a subtle but distinct flavor to this tropical fruit compote. Here the fruit is not cooked in the syrup, but simply macerated so that the tastes remain fresh and distinct. The spiced syrup is also a wonderful sweetener for hot tea or as a base for a light punch.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (2 limes)
- 10 whole cardamom pods,bruised
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons CuraÃ§ao or other orange liqueur
- 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 2 mangoes or papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 seedless tangerines or small oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 star fruit (carambolas), thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into thick slices
- Combine sugar, pineapple juice, lime zest and juice in a small saucepan. Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add it to the saucepan. Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in orange liqueur. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Toss kiwi, mangoes (or papaya), tangerines (or oranges), star fruit, pineapple and banana in a serving bowl. Add the syrup and stir gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag and serve.
Per serving: 214 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (148 % daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- November/December 1995