Spiced Spanish Almonds
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Salty, sweet and laced with smoke—the perfect kind of almond for a party. If any remain the next day, savor them over a salad topped with sliced ripe pears and shaved Manchego cheese.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound (about 3 cups) Marcona or raw whole almonds, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk brown sugar, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. Whisk egg white and water in a medium bowl until foamy. Add almonds and stir to coat; pour through a sieve to drain off excess egg white. Transfer the almonds to the bowl of spices; stir well to coat. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the almonds for 30 minutes. Stir, reduce the oven temperature to 200° and bake until the almonds are dry and golden, about 30 minutes more. Let cool before serving, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sautÃ©ed in oil and lightly salted when you get them. For this recipe, select unsalted and oil-free nuts if you can, though either will work well. Find them in specialty stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 245 calories; 19 g fat (1 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 5 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin E (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007