Spiced Spanish Almonds
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
Salty, sweet and laced with smoke—the perfect kind of almond for a party. If any remain the next day, savor them over a salad topped with sliced ripe pears and shaved Manchego cheese.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound (about 3 cups) Marcona or raw whole almonds, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk brown sugar, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. Whisk egg white and water in a medium bowl until foamy. Add almonds and stir to coat; pour through a sieve to drain off excess egg white. Transfer the almonds to the bowl of spices; stir well to coat. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the almonds for 30 minutes. Stir, reduce the oven temperature to 200° and bake until the almonds are dry and golden, about 30 minutes more. Let cool before serving, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sautÃ©ed in oil and lightly salted when you get them. For this recipe, select unsalted and oil-free nuts if you can, though either will work well. Find them in specialty stores or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 245 calories; 19 g fat (1 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 5 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin E (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007