Spiced Creamy Wheat with Cashews
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This recipe comes alive with vegetables and spiciness, transforming healthy creamed wheat into something as flavorful as it is hearty. (Adapted from Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking by Raghavan Iyer; Hungry Minds, Inc., 2001.)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dried yellow split peas, (chana dal)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup wheat cereal, (farina), such as Cream of Wheat (not instant)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and mustard seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once seeds begin to pop, cover the pan and wait until the popping stops. Add cashews and yellow split peas; stir-fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Add onion and ginger; stir-fry until the onion is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in water, potatoes, peas, chiles, salt and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in wheat cereal; simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato and cilantro. Cover and simmer until the tomato is warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 313 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (40% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005