Spiced Creamy Wheat with Cashews
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This recipe comes alive with vegetables and spiciness, transforming healthy creamed wheat into something as flavorful as it is hearty. (Adapted from Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking by Raghavan Iyer; Hungry Minds, Inc., 2001.)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dried yellow split peas, (chana dal)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup wheat cereal, (farina), such as Cream of Wheat (not instant)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and mustard seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once seeds begin to pop, cover the pan and wait until the popping stops. Add cashews and yellow split peas; stir-fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Add onion and ginger; stir-fry until the onion is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in water, potatoes, peas, chiles, salt and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in wheat cereal; simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato and cilantro. Cover and simmer until the tomato is warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 313 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (40% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005