Spiced Creamy Wheat with Cashews
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
This recipe comes alive with vegetables and spiciness, transforming healthy creamed wheat into something as flavorful as it is hearty. (Adapted from Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking by Raghavan Iyer; Hungry Minds, Inc., 2001.)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dried yellow split peas, (chana dal)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 fresh Thai, serrano or cayenne chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup wheat cereal, (farina), such as Cream of Wheat (not instant)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and mustard seeds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once seeds begin to pop, cover the pan and wait until the popping stops. Add cashews and yellow split peas; stir-fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Add onion and ginger; stir-fry until the onion is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in water, potatoes, peas, chiles, salt and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in wheat cereal; simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato and cilantro. Cover and simmer until the tomato is warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 199 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 313 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (40% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- April/May 2005