Spiced Corn & Rice Pilaf
This corn-flecked rice pilaf has a distinctive Indian flavor, thanks to the addition of cumin seeds, cinnamon and cardamom. It makes a delicious accompaniment to grilled meats and poultry.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown basmati or long-grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 2 ears) or frozen
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cardamom, salt and rice; cook, stirring often, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pumpkin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When the rice is ready, stir in corn, cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick. Fluff the pilaf with a fork and fold in the toasted pumpkin seeds.
Per serving: 129 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 126 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique