Spiced Corn & Rice Pilaf
This corn-flecked rice pilaf has a distinctive Indian flavor, thanks to the addition of cumin seeds, cinnamon and cardamom. It makes a delicious accompaniment to grilled meats and poultry.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown basmati or long-grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 2 ears) or frozen
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, cardamom, salt and rice; cook, stirring often, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pumpkin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- When the rice is ready, stir in corn, cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick. Fluff the pilaf with a fork and fold in the toasted pumpkin seeds.
Per serving: 129 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 126 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique