Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
Cider doughnuts, a New England harvest treat, inspired these spice-happy muffins. A crumbly streusel topping made with a small amount of butter provides a delicious finish.
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, (optional)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter, such as Smucker's
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel: Mix brown sugar, whole-wheat flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full). Sprinkle with the streusel.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 209 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique