Spiced Apple Butter Bran Muffins
These muffins are dense, grainy, fruity and delicious. A double dose of apple—diced fresh apple and dark, spiced apple butter (Smucker's brand is good)—makes them extra moist and flavorful.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unprocessed wheat bran, or oat bran
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup spiced apple butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup finely diced peeled apple
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 standard 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray. Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in bran.
- Whisk egg, milk, apple butter, brown sugar (or Splenda), oil and molasses in a large bowl until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Drain the raisins; add them and the diced apple to the bowl. Stir until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Wrap leftover muffins individually in plastic wrap, place in a plastic storage container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on Defrost for about 2 minutes.
Per muffin: 197 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 221 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per muffin with Splenda: 2 Carbohydrate Servings; 187 calories, 31 g carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique