Spiced Apple Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This silky apple dessert recipe—a spiced apple bread pudding made with apple cider in place of the usual custard—gets a double hit of apple flavor from both the cider and plenty of sliced tart apples. Mace, the lacy red spice that coats the nutmeg fruit, adds a particularly lovely floral note, but you can substitute nutmeg if you don’t have any mace on hand.
- 1 1/2 pounds tart apples (3-4 medium), such as Granny Smith, Empire or Cortland
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups 1-inch pieces stale bread without crust (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tips) and chopped
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Toss with brown sugar, cinnamon and mace (or nutmeg) in a medium bowl. Combine cider, butter and vanilla in another medium bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a 3-quart round casserole dish (or similar-size pot) with 2 cups bread pieces. Pour about 1/2 cup of the cider mixture over them. Sprinkle with about one-third of the raisins and cover with about one-third of the apple slices. Repeat with another layer of 2 cups bread, 1/2 cup cider and half the remaining raisins and apple slices. For the third layer, arrange the rest of the bread, raisins and apples so that some of each is visible on the surface. Slowly ladle the remaining cider mixture over the top. Using a flat, wide spatula, press down to compact and submerge the top layer (it may not remain submerged). Cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Use the spatula again to press down the top and baste it with the liquid. Cover and bake for 30 minutes more. Baste the top layer again by pressing down on it with the spatula. Keep the cover off and continue baking until the top is golden, about 30 minutes more. Let rest on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Scoop the bread pudding into individual serving dishes. Sprinkle each portion with some of the walnuts and top with a dollop of whipped cream (if using).
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
- Toast nuts before using for the best flavor. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once and checking often, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013