Spiced Apple Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This silky apple dessert recipe—a spiced apple bread pudding made with apple cider in place of the usual custard—gets a double hit of apple flavor from both the cider and plenty of sliced tart apples. Mace, the lacy red spice that coats the nutmeg fruit, adds a particularly lovely floral note, but you can substitute nutmeg if you don’t have any mace on hand.
- 1 1/2 pounds tart apples (3-4 medium), such as Granny Smith, Empire or Cortland
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups 1-inch pieces stale bread without crust (see Tips)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (see Tips) and chopped
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Toss with brown sugar, cinnamon and mace (or nutmeg) in a medium bowl. Combine cider, butter and vanilla in another medium bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a 3-quart round casserole dish (or similar-size pot) with 2 cups bread pieces. Pour about 1/2 cup of the cider mixture over them. Sprinkle with about one-third of the raisins and cover with about one-third of the apple slices. Repeat with another layer of 2 cups bread, 1/2 cup cider and half the remaining raisins and apple slices. For the third layer, arrange the rest of the bread, raisins and apples so that some of each is visible on the surface. Slowly ladle the remaining cider mixture over the top. Using a flat, wide spatula, press down to compact and submerge the top layer (it may not remain submerged). Cover with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Use the spatula again to press down the top and baste it with the liquid. Cover and bake for 30 minutes more. Baste the top layer again by pressing down on it with the spatula. Keep the cover off and continue baking until the top is golden, about 30 minutes more. Let rest on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Scoop the bread pudding into individual serving dishes. Sprinkle each portion with some of the walnuts and top with a dollop of whipped cream (if using).
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
- Toast nuts before using for the best flavor. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once and checking often, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- September/October 2013