Spice-Rubbed Steak with Sautéed Wild Mushrooms
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
We love the flavor of wild mushrooms with seared spice-rubbed steak, but any type of mushroom will work. Like the rub in this steak recipe? Make a double, triple or quadruple batch to keep on hand for chicken and firm fish (swordfish, tuna and salmon) too. Store the steak rub in a jar or sealable plastic bag in your spice drawer for an instant dinner seasoning.
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup Madeira or dry sherry
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Position oven rack 3 to 4 inches below broiler; preheat broiler to high.
- Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Combine chile powder, cumin, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture evenly over both sides of steak and place on the prepared pan; let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour in Madeira (or sherry) and cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cover to keep warm.
- Broil the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and serve with the mushrooms.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Ancho chile powder, made from dried poblano peppers, has a mild, sweet spicy flavor. Look for it in the spice section of well-stocked supermarkets. Other mildly spicy chile powder can be used in its place.
Per serving: 312 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 545 mg sodium; 979 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)