Pantry ingredients and basic spices transform a package of tofu into a quick, simple meal - no slicing and dicing required.
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast pine nuts (see Tip); set aside to cool. Mix paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut crosswise into 8 slices, 1/2 inch thick. Dredge the tofu liberally with the spice mixture, coating all sides. Mix boiling water, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat the bottom. Add tofu and cook on one side until brown and crusty, 4 to 5 minutes; flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the honey mixture to the pan (it will bubble up and evaporate very quickly) and shake to coat the tofu. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the toasted pine nuts.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast nuts & seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 206 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 249 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/3 other carbohydrate, 1 medium-fat protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian