Spice-Crusted Salmon with Lime-Orange Salsa
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
In this salsa, citrus shows its two sides, the sweetness of the oranges contrasting with the tartness of lime juice. Chipotle peppers contribute a dark, distinctive heat.
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Salmon & Spice Crust
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juice, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membrane, letting the segments fall into the bowl. Add onion, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle peppers and garlic. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salmon: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a spice mill or mortar and pestle. Add peppercorns to the mill and coarsely grind all the spices. Stir in salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat salmon with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the fish is opaque in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salsa (Step 1) for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 302 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1994