Spice-Crusted Salmon with Lime-Orange Salsa
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
In this salsa, citrus shows its two sides, the sweetness of the oranges contrasting with the tartness of lime juice. Chipotle peppers contribute a dark, distinctive heat.
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Salmon & Spice Crust
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juice, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membrane, letting the segments fall into the bowl. Add onion, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle peppers and garlic. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salmon: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a spice mill or mortar and pestle. Add peppercorns to the mill and coarsely grind all the spices. Stir in salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat salmon with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the fish is opaque in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salsa (Step 1) for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 302 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)