Spice-Crusted Salmon with Lime-Orange Salsa
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
In this salsa, citrus shows its two sides, the sweetness of the oranges contrasting with the tartness of lime juice. Chipotle peppers contribute a dark, distinctive heat.
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Salmon & Spice Crust
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juice, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membrane, letting the segments fall into the bowl. Add onion, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle peppers and garlic. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salmon: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a spice mill or mortar and pestle. Add peppercorns to the mill and coarsely grind all the spices. Stir in salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat salmon with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the fish is opaque in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salsa (Step 1) for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 302 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1994