Spice-Crusted Salmon with Lime-Orange Salsa
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
In this salsa, citrus shows its two sides, the sweetness of the oranges contrasting with the tartness of lime juice. Chipotle peppers contribute a dark, distinctive heat.
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Salmon & Spice Crust
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a medium bowl to catch the juice, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membrane, letting the segments fall into the bowl. Add onion, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle peppers and garlic. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salmon: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a spice mill or mortar and pestle. Add peppercorns to the mill and coarsely grind all the spices. Stir in salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat salmon with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the fish is opaque in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salsa (Step 1) for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 302 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 740 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994