Spice-Crusted Chicken with Citrus Salsa
From EatingWell: March 1998
While this recipe calls for oranges, grapefruit would work equally well. This salsa would also be terrific tucked into fish tacos.
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a bowl, cut orange segments from their surrounding membranes. Stir in onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make chicken: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander, cumin and pepper; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 45 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and add salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat the chicken with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the chicken is opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 426 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Selenium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March 1998