Spice-Crusted Chicken with Citrus Salsa
From EatingWell: March 1998
While this recipe calls for oranges, grapefruit would work equally well. This salsa would also be terrific tucked into fish tacos.
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- To make salsa: With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from oranges and discard. Working over a bowl, cut orange segments from their surrounding membranes. Stir in onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make chicken: Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coriander, cumin and pepper; toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 45 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and add salt.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Coat the chicken with the spice mixture. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until the chicken is opaque in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 210 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 426 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Selenium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March 1998