Sparkling Orange Cocktails
From EatingWell: March 1998
Homemade orange syrup makes a delicious addition to these sparkling cocktails.
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne, or sparkling wine
- To make syrup: With a sharp knife, thinly slice oranges. Place in a medium nonreactive saucepan and toss with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and vodka to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is syrupy and orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To make cocktails: With a vegetable peeler, remove 8 long strips of zest from the orange. Twist each strip and place in a champagne glass. Add 1 tablespoon bitter-orange syrup to each glass. Top with Champagne and stir gently. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Steps 1-3) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 196 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- March 1998