Sparkling Orange Cocktails
From EatingWell: March 1998
Homemade orange syrup makes a delicious addition to these sparkling cocktails.
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne, or sparkling wine
- To make syrup: With a sharp knife, thinly slice oranges. Place in a medium nonreactive saucepan and toss with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and vodka to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is syrupy and orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To make cocktails: With a vegetable peeler, remove 8 long strips of zest from the orange. Twist each strip and place in a champagne glass. Add 1 tablespoon bitter-orange syrup to each glass. Top with Champagne and stir gently. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Steps 1-3) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 196 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- March 1998