Sparkling Orange Cocktails
From EatingWell: March 1998
Homemade orange syrup makes a delicious addition to these sparkling cocktails.
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne, or sparkling wine
- To make syrup: With a sharp knife, thinly slice oranges. Place in a medium nonreactive saucepan and toss with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and vodka to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is syrupy and orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To make cocktails: With a vegetable peeler, remove 8 long strips of zest from the orange. Twist each strip and place in a champagne glass. Add 1 tablespoon bitter-orange syrup to each glass. Top with Champagne and stir gently. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Steps 1-3) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 196 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- March 1998