Sparkling Orange Cocktails
From EatingWell: March 1998
Homemade orange syrup makes a delicious addition to these sparkling cocktails.
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne, or sparkling wine
- To make syrup: With a sharp knife, thinly slice oranges. Place in a medium nonreactive saucepan and toss with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add orange juice and vodka to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is syrupy and orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To make cocktails: With a vegetable peeler, remove 8 long strips of zest from the orange. Twist each strip and place in a champagne glass. Add 1 tablespoon bitter-orange syrup to each glass. Top with Champagne and stir gently. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Steps 1-3) for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 196 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 130 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March 1998