Spanish Tapas-Inspired Mussels
When you think “mussels” you may not instantly think “chickpeas,” but the two are joined in tasteful union in this delicious, bistro-style dish. You'll want some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To debeard a mussel, hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 371 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 729 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Iron (45% dv), Folate (36% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2