Spanish Tapas-Inspired Mussels
When you think “mussels” you may not instantly think “chickpeas,” but the two are joined in tasteful union in this delicious, bistro-style dish. You'll want some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To debeard a mussel, hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 371 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 729 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Iron (45% dv), Folate (36% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique