Spanish Tapas-Inspired Mussels
When you think “mussels” you may not instantly think “chickpeas,” but the two are joined in tasteful union in this delicious, bistro-style dish. You'll want some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To debeard a mussel, hold the mussel in one hand. Firmly pull out the black fibrous "beard" from the shell.
Per serving: 371 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 729 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Iron (45% dv), Folate (36% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation