Spanish Pork Burgers
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
This Spanish-themed burger is boldly flavored with sautéed onions (which keep it moist), paprika, garlic and green olives. The creamy mayonnaise spread is tangy with lemon and a hint of earthy saffron.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced Spanish onion
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Spanish green olives, such as Manzanilla
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons PimentÃ³n de la Vera, (see Shopping Tip) or Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of saffron, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 whole jarred Piquillo peppers, (see Shopping Tip) or jarred pimientos, halved lengthwise
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside half the onion for topping; finely chop the other half.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place the chopped onion in a large bowl; add pork, olives, garlic, paprika, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and saffron in a small bowl.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 10 to 12 minutes total. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with the lemon-saffron mayonnaise, some of the reserved onions and a half a Piquillo (or pimiento) pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the lemon-saffron mayonnaise (Step 4) for up to 5 days.
- Shopping Tip: Spain is known for its superb paprika called PimentÃ³n de la Vera, which has a smoky flavor, and for intensely flavored peppers called Piquillos. Look for these specialty ingredients in well-stocked supermarkets, gourmet-food shops or online at spanishtable.com or tienda.com.
- Ingredient Note: Literally the dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron is the world's most expensive spice. Each crocus produces only 3 stigma, requiring over 75,000 flowers for each pound of saffron. Fortunately, a little goes a long way. It's used sparingly to add golden yellow color and flavor to a wide variety of Middle Eastern, African and European-inspired foods. Find it in the specialty-herb section of large supermarkets, gourmet-food shops and tienda.com. Wrapped in foil and placed in a container with a tight-fitting lid, it will keep in a cool, dry place for several years.
- Tip: To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 364 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 5 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2008