Spaghetti with Tuna & Tomato Sauce (Spaghetti al tonno e pomodoro)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Italian tuna packed in olive oil is a must for this pasta dish: the flavorful oil is drained from the tuna and used for cooking the sauce.
- 1 7-ounce can Italian tuna, packed in olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Drain tuna in a sieve set over a small bowl, squeezing to press out as much oil as possible (reserve the oil). Break up the tuna with a fork and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the tuna oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with their juice and crushed red pepper; break up the tomatoes with a fork. Simmer over low heat until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in tuna and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain it and return to the pot. Add the sauce and 3 tablespoons of parsley; toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve immediately.
Per serving: 345 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 11 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value), Magnesium (30% dv), Selenium (106% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)