Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Instead of opening a jar of sauce, try this easy spaghetti with meat sauce on a weeknight. Serve with steamed broccoli and garlic bread. The recipe makes enough for 8 servings. If you’re serving only four for dinner, cook 8 ounces of spaghetti and freeze the leftover sauce.
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 384 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 10 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 655 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (49% daily value), Zinc (34% dv), Iron (26% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010