Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Domestic white (or “button”) mushrooms stand in for the meat in this still-hearty variation of a classic sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or a spoonful of part-skim ricotta cheese. Complete the meal with a crisp arugula salad.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have wilted and the juices have evaporated, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Make the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 367 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: VItamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two