Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Domestic white (or “button”) mushrooms stand in for the meat in this still-hearty variation of a classic sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or a spoonful of part-skim ricotta cheese. Complete the meal with a crisp arugula salad.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have wilted and the juices have evaporated, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Make the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 367 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: VItamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two