Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Domestic white (or “button”) mushrooms stand in for the meat in this still-hearty variation of a classic sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or a spoonful of part-skim ricotta cheese. Complete the meal with a crisp arugula salad.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have wilted and the juices have evaporated, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Make the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 367 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: VItamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two