Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Domestic white (or “button”) mushrooms stand in for the meat in this still-hearty variation of a classic sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or a spoonful of part-skim ricotta cheese. Complete the meal with a crisp arugula salad.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have wilted and the juices have evaporated, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Make the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 367 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: VItamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)