Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Domestic white (or “button”) mushrooms stand in for the meat in this still-hearty variation of a classic sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan or a spoonful of part-skim ricotta cheese. Complete the meal with a crisp arugula salad.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain, then return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have wilted and the juices have evaporated, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Make the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 367 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 10 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: VItamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 312
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two