Spaghetti with Melted Tomato Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
There is nothing simpler nor more satisfying than a meal of pasta tossed with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6), peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti or linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large, warmed serving bowl. Toss with the tomato sauce and serve at once, passing the cheese at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To quickly seed a tomato: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing each half.
Per serving: 373 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 647 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (81% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995