Spaghetti with Melted Tomato Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
There is nothing simpler nor more satisfying than a meal of pasta tossed with fresh tomato and basil sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6), peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti or linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large, warmed serving bowl. Toss with the tomato sauce and serve at once, passing the cheese at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To quickly seed a tomato: Cut the tomato in half crosswise and scoop out the seeds with your finger while gently squeezing each half.
Per serving: 373 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 12 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 647 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (81% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1995